Friday, July 24, 2009

IST 511 - Day 3

Wednesday's class was particularly informative for me because it dealt with systems, a topic that I am not very familiar with. It was very helpful to see how each system breaks down into separate parts, that work together to form a working function. As an Administrative assistant, I was interested to learn how the order can be informed by he approval plan or patrons depending on the library. Additionally understanding how these flowed into acquisitions, process catalog, circulation and OPAC gave me a good understanding of how the library actually works.

Day 3 of class was also very hands on because the afternoon consisted of a field trip to Bird Library where we got to learn about preservation and special collections. As I am interested in digital humanities today was particularly relevant. I would like to be able to work with digitally preserving special collections like the one Syracuse has as I mentioned in my earlier post. Dr. Lavender shared with us many amazing books, including brilliant illuminated manuscripts from 1375, science texts from 1529, a third folio Shakespeare, an 1588 Roman Imperialism book once belonging to Queen Elizabeth, a 1859 first edition of Origin of the Species and an 1872 Lady's book including beautiful fashion plates. It was stunning to be in the presence of such special and influential works, and I hope one day to be able to ensure that future generations will be able to access their content and witness their beauty.

No comments: